Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bharatpur and the Pink City !

Bharatpur was a really nice rest from the hustle and bustle. It is a small country town and country folk are the same everywhere. ... Just so nice ! We awoke at 6 am had a couple of cups of chai and then took the cycle rickshaw to the bird santuary .... Gosh ! Such a multitude of different species all abound in this nice quiet wetland. We rode about 6 km and returned. Had brekky and continued our drive to Jaipur.
Oooh ! Wow ! I just love Rajasthan. On the drive I was at the edge of my seat, camera in hand. Camel carts, women in brightly coloured saris, odd vehicles, herds of camels ... it went on and on .... not to mention the green fields of mustard, that are about to explode into a sea of yellow.

Drove into the pink city and checked into Kernot Mahal. An old haveli (residences for the Maharajah's courtiers). A lovely place full of character. Val and I sat down to a snack. Val had 2 "real" samosas ... I mean NOT the crap we get in Oz. and a hot cuppa masala chai. I had half a real samosa, a lime soda and also a REAL Lassi with bits of clotted cream in it ... like it should be. AND ... Mango lassi is NOT real lassi. .... just a gimmick. A pom will tell u what clotted cream is. Also had the softest two Gulab Jamuns ... not too sweet and with real saffron and crushed cashews and pistachios in the centre....
Then went and bought some handicrafts .... now after I finish writing this report will go and have dinner ...... Hmmmm ! I wonder what culinary delights lie in store....
Until next time ... drool , drool ... my friends ... slurp slurp ..... Namaste !

No comments: